Too Busy for Breakfast? Think again!
We all know breakfast is important, but let’s be real about our morning routines- they are anything but calm.
I recently had a client tell me the following: “I am in such a rush in the morning; between getting myself ready, preparing for the day, trying to look half way alive, getting in some exercise and hopefully getting to work on time, I just skip breakfast! I grab a coffee because it is fast but I know if I grab something quick I’m going to grab something processed and likely very carb heavy and I don’t want to start my day like that.”
I would be lying if I said this is the first time I have heard this. Let’s start paying attention to breakfast.
Breakfast is important for many reasons and our chance to start our day shining. We need it for so many reasons; it gives a tiny kick to our fasting blood sugar- not a big one but a little smidge, a healthy start for our metabolism to get moving, our first opportunity to really nourish our bodies, a chance to set us up for a healthy day, one that won’t create blood sugar spikes and drops, but controlled blood sugar, and less likely to be moody or have cravings, or over eat at lunch. Too often because of our INSANELY busy schedules it gets kicked to the curb. If you care about your productivity, your mood, your body and your energy levels; well then skipping breakfast – isn’t the answer. Let’s also recognize that our rushed lifestyle combined with a typical American breakfast is notably carb heavy!
Since skipping this important meal isn’t an option—here are some healthy alternatives that are quick and easy to make:
- Slice of whole wheat toast with almond butter or peanut butter
- Handful of almonds or walnuts with a piece of fruit (if you choose a banana- then only half a banana)
- Slice of sprouted grain bread with guacamole and smashed hard boiled egg
- Greek yogurt with frozen berries and ¼ cup of high fiber cereal
- Regular yogurt with protein powder mixed in, and berries on top (regular yogurt can be high in carbs with little protein, if you don’t enjoy the taste of Greek yogurt throw some protein powder in and mix)
- Low carb, high fiber wrap with:
Any nut butter inside
Hummus and a hard boiled egg
Avocado and veggies
- Protein smoothie, you can make your own but if you’re short the 5 minutes have back up- ready to drink kinds and enjoy with a small piece of fruit